You can apply for a medal if you served in the armed forces and are eligible.

Find out the types of medal the Ministry of Defence (MOD) issues.

You can only apply for World War 1 medals if the original was returned.


You can apply if you were awarded a medal for service in any of the following:

You must meet the eligibility requirements for the medal you’re applying for.

If you’re applying for someone else’s medal

You can apply on behalf of a veteran if you have lasting power of attorney.

If the veteran has died, you must be the official next of kin. The general rules for the official next of kin are:

How to apply

Download and fill in the medal application form.

Apply through your unit if you’re still serving in the armed forces.

If you’re applying on behalf of someone else, you must include a copy of either your lasting power of attorney or a death certificate.

Post the form, along with any supporting documents, to the MOD Medal Office - the address is on the form. Do not send the form by email.

After you’ve applied

You’ll usually get your medal within 12 weeks of sending the application form.

You can apply for a replacement medal if the original’s been stolen or accidentally destroyed, for example in a fire.

Get help

If you need to contact MOD about your medal application, email

Did you find this page useful?

Dislike sign